a. Philosophy of the proposed programme:
To impart knowledge and skills in environmental health for health promotion and development.
b. Rationale of the proposed programme
Worldwide, many people continue to suffer from preventable communicable diseases such as diarrhea as a classical example. The need for capacity building in the field of environmental health has been compounded by the continued increase environmental hazards emanating from the rapid urbanization and industrialization due to modern technological advancement. The Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree programme in Environmental Health aims at producing Environmental Health scientists capable of addressing health issues by responding effectively to deteriorating environmental conditions that affect human health with a view to proposing possible solutions thereby enhancing good health and sustainable environmental management.
The need for prevention, reduction of transmission of communicable and non- communicable diseases in the human population calls for improving physical, biological, cultural and social environmental conditions.
The labour market demand for environmental health practitioners over the years has not been matched with the existing training opportunities in the country and the region at large, hence ineffectively responding to deteriorating environmental conditions that affect human population and health.
The need for capacity building in the field of environmental health has been compounded by the continued increase environmental hazards emanating from the rapid urbanization and industrialization due to modern technological advancement hence filling the existing gaps in environmental health training. The programme intends to produce an Environmental Health Practitioner who will be capable of integrating theory and practice in critically assessing, analyzing and managing environmental issues affecting the health of the individual and the community. The environmental health graduate will acquire the necessary knowledge and skills through lectures, tutorials, group discussion, practical research and field work
c. Objectives of the Bachelor of Science Degree in Environmental Health
1. To play an effective role in the development and expansion of opportunities for individuals wishing to continue their education in the health science disciplines
2. To prepare students academically and professionally for a career in environmental health
3. To produce high quality graduate capable of critical analysis, problem-solving, research and life-long learning.
4. Conduct research in environmental health issues with a view to providing recommendations to solve environmental health challenges
5. Provide community service through consultation, advice, training, participation, moral and financial support to the community and other stakeholders
6. Generate and impart knowledge, skills and attitudes that pertain to effective recognition and response to environmental health challenges.
7. Train manpower that is adaptable to emerging and re-emerging environmental health challenges.
8. Enhance appropriate use of natural and human resources to promote good health and sustainable development