Composition of Academic Senate
The Academic Senate is the Supreme competent organ in academic affairs, research and education in an institution of higher learning.
Attributions of Academic Senate
The Academic Senate has the following attributions:
- To set up strategies, programmes as well as academic and research schedules which are to be submitted to the Advisors’ Board for approval before implementation;
- To prepare and avail the academic regulations to be approved by the Advisors’ Board as regards admission requirements, teaching conditions, good conduct, sitting for examinations, degrees and Diplomas issued by the institution, etc.
- To appreciate any decision related to exams or other forms of assessment before submitting them for approval to the Advisors’ Board;
- To conduct and supervise teaching-related activities, research and education within faculties and departments;
- To suggest and submit to the Advisors’ Board any proposition on creating, reducing, changing, suppressing or merging faculties and departments;
- To prepare and submit suggestions related to Lecturers recruitment and promotion to the Advisors’ Board;
- To elaborate and submit to the Advisors’ Board the Annual Report of academic, research and teaching activities undertaken within the institution;
- To perform and execute any activity required by the Advisors’ Board;
Meetings of Academic senate
Ordinary Academic Senate meetings are convened by the Chairperson once in a month. Extraordinary Academic Senate meetings are convened by the Chairperson when requested by one-third (1/3) of its members and whenever it is deemed necessary.
In the absence of the chairperson, his/her deputy can convene ordinary or extraordinary Academic Senate meetings.
The Academic Senate’s decisions are taken through consensus. However, they may be taken through the absolute majority by polling the members present in the meeting. In case of equality, the Chairman’s decision is preponderant.